The Archives of Phi Gamma Delta

Archives Home  Founders  Traditions  Today in History  Historic Sites  Leaders  Exhibits/References  Contact

______________________________________________________________________

 

Lexington, Kentucky

Lexington has served as the Fraternity's headquarters since 1973. It is home to our Upsilon Kappa Chapter at the University of Kentucky. You will also find Transylvania University, the successor to Kentucky University of Harrodsburg, Kentucky. That campus hosted our Rho Chapter from 1860 until it ceased during the Civil War. Lexington also hosted the 1986 Ekklesia, and the 1975 and 1993 Fiji Academies.

Back to Historic Sites by City page


From The History of
Phi Gamma Delta,
Tomos Gamma
 

Former Headquarters Building, 1973-86

When the Fraternity decided to move from Washington in the early 1970s, it looked for a central and accessible location. Lexington, Kentucky fit the bill. The Educational Foundation, which had owned the headquarters in Washington, was reluctant to purchase property at that time. Instead, the Fraternity leased space in this building; offices were located on the second floor with storage on the third. Field Secretaries roomed in an apartment across the street.


International Headquarters, from The Phi Gamma Delta

Dedication plaque covering time capsule 

International Headquarters Building, 1986-Today

The first headquarters built for the Fraternity houses the museum, library, archives, Fraternity administrative offices, and the offices of the Phi Gamma Delta Educational Foundations. It sits on a 2.78 acre site. In 1979 The Archons approved plans to acquire property, and on May 19, 1984 ground was broken. Truett H. Coston (Texas 1936) was the architect; the contractor was J. T. Perry, Jr. (Washington and Lee 1941). Both specified they were not to be compensated for their professional services. Hundreds of brothers and many chapters donated to the building fund. The May 18, 1985 dedication ceremony placed a plaque over a time capsule. The Fraternity will open it in 2048 during the 200th anniversary. Contents include badges of Archons, issues of The Phi Gamma Delta, a Fiji dollar, and a dedication ceremony program, guest book, and videotape.Tour the library and museum online.

1201 Red Mile Road. Museum and offices open weekdays 9 to 5, and at other times by appointment.


Lexington Hyatt Regency

Hyatt Regency Lexington

1986 Ekklesia

Completed in 1976, the Hyatt Regency hosted the 138th Ekklesia ten years later. 744 registered. A visit to the newly-dedicated Headquarters building was a major draw. This hotel has served as home for many a Fraternity conference and seminar. Here the Upsilon Kappa Chapter at the University of Kentucky held its chartering banquet for its 1994 revival.

401 West High Street

 
Haupt Hall

Morrison Hall, c.1833 

Transylvania University

Transylvania was founded in 1780. This makes it a contender for the disputed claim of "First College West of The Allegheny Mountains." The other claimant is Washington and Jefferson College, successor to Jefferson College where Phi Gamma Delta was born. Phi Gamma Delta never had a chapter at this Lexington campus. However, from 1860 to 1862, Rho Chapter existed at Kentucky University in Harrodsburg. After the Civil War, that school merged with Transylvania under the name Kentucky University. In 1908 the name reverted back to Transylvania University. The attractive Transylvania campus contains an 1833 academic building, and a log cabin dating back to Lexington's establishment during the Revolutionary War. The university president from 1983-2010 was a Phi Gam, Dr. Charles L. Shearer (Kentucky 1963).

300 North Broadway


Memorial Hall,
from The Phi Gamma Delta

McVey Plaque 

University of Kentucky

The University of Kentucky hosts our Upsilon Kappa Chapter, an indirect inheritor of our Rho Chapter at Kentucky University. UK also hosted our 1975 and 1993 Fiji Academies.The Agricultural and Mechanical College of Kentucky University formed with state support in 1865. This was part of the Transylvania College and Kentucky University merger noted above. The A and M College separated in 1878, and was renamed State University in 1908 and the University of Kentucky in 1916.Phi Gam Frank L. McVey (Ohio Wesleyan 1893) was president of UK from 1917 until 1940. McVey Hall is named in his honor. It is located in the central campus, off Funkhouser Drive.

South Limestone Street


Goodloe Monument, Lexington Cemetery

Lexington Cemetery

The Lexington Cemetery, burial place of prominent Americans from Henry Clay to famed basketball coach Adolph Rupp, first opened in 1849. It contains the remains of several Phi Gams including:

- Dr. Frank LeRond McVey (Ohio Wesleyan 1893), president of the University of Kentucky 1917-1940. Section 16, Lot 15

- William Cassius Goodloe, Sr. (Kentucky 1862), Civil War veteran and US minister to Belgium. Section A, Lot 81

833 West Main Street


Bethel College

Other Kentucky Sites of Interest

- Bethel College (site only), where Nu Chapter chartered in 1856 and ceased in 1912. The College closed in the 1930s. Russellville
- Centre College, location of Iota Chapter for the school year 1855-1856. It led to the founding of Lambda at DePauw. Danville
- Kentucky University (site only), home to Rho Chapter 1860-1862. The university building housed Bacon College from 1843 to 1851, and Kentucky University from 1859 until it burned in 1864. After the Civil War, the school merged with Transylvania and relocated to Lexington (see above). Harrodsburg
- Eastern Kentucky University, site of the 1973 Fiji Academy. Richmond
- Morehead State University, location of one of four Fiji Academy sessions held during the summer of 1995. Morehead



Back to Historic Sites by City page